Breastfeeding Coalition of Washington
The Breastfeeding Coalition of Washington (BCW) is a statewide network of hundreds of individuals and over 20 local community coalitions and partner organizations. Our mission is to promote, protect and support breastfeeding as a vital part of the health and development of children and families. The BCW was founded in 1995 and is a program of WithinReach.
We work to increase initiation, duration and exclusivity rates of breastfeeding through promotion projects, education and resource sharing with the larger aim of establishing breastfeeding as the cultural norm in Washington. Our work influences mothers and families, communities, organizations, and the larger sociocultural environment, all of which impact breastfeeding.
BCW Statewide Goals:
- Promote and protect a supportive and accepting public environment for breastfeeding.
- Increase the incidence, exclusivity and duration of breastfeeding.
- Affect policies in workplaces, health care, educational institutions and childcare facilities to support breastfeeding families.
- Provide up-to-date referral and educational materials to healthcare professionals, organizations and the public about breastfeeding.
- Promote better communication among coalition members and organizations.
- Conduct breastfeeding promotion activities and advocacy that are culturally relevant and sensitive.