Are you ready to make a difference?
AmeriCorps is an opportunity to make a big difference. WithinReach hosts AmeriCorps service members for our Bridge to Basics program.Service members provide information and referrals to low-income community members in two key areas: health care and food security. They provide education, information, referrals and application assistance to individuals who live in at-risk and economically disadvantaged communities. AmeriCorps educate and inform people about health care, health insurance access and food resources in their communities. This entails approaching and engaging community members about their ability to access healthy food and affordable health care. Members screen for program eligibility and provide information about available options. They then guide clients through necessary applications and offer follow up and additional information in order to ensure success.In addition, AmeriCorps members facilitate WithinReach volunteer engagement in King and Snohomish counties.Service members serve at WithinReach for 10.5 months and receive a living stipend. At the end of their service year, members are eligible to receive an education award to pay for college, graduate school, or to pay back qualified student loans.
- Approach and engage clients at WithinReach partner sites – which include food banks, libraries and job training centers–about nutrition and health programs
- Provide information, referrals and application assistance to these individuals and families
- Collect and input related data
- Support clients with follow-up communication and advocacy to ensure their successful enrollment/participation in food and health programs.
- Above the age of 18 by September 1st, 2016
- Available to serve full-time from September 1st, 2016-July 15th, 2017
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to serve effectively in a variety of contexts with diverse groups of people
- High level of energy for off-site service and the ability to carry equipment up to 25 pounds
- Reliable, with good time management and organizational skills
- Access to a car for daytime travel
- AA Degree or two years of equivalent educational background/experience
- Fluency in Spanish, Cantonese or Mandarin, Russian, Vietnamese, Somali, Amharic or Tagalog
- Create an account on AmeriCorps.gov
- Find the Bridge to Basics position listing on the AmeriCorps website and apply
- Complete WithinReach’s supplemental application
To learn more about serving as an AmeriCorps volunteer at WithinReach, contact Kari Geiger at 206-830-7640.
Here is what some former WithinReach AmeriCorps have had to say about their experiences at WithinReach:
“What I enjoy most about being an AmeriCorps member at WithinReach is being able to break down language barriers for Cantonese speaking families, and myth busting negative things they have heard about accessing food resources in their community.”
Donna Quach, Bridge to Basics 2012-2013
“My AmeriCorps experience has been life changing. I can safely say that I will be a more compassionate, culturally competent, and well-educated advocate as a result of my service year.”
–Sam Lee, Bridge to Basics 2012-2013
“The exposure I received to the myriad hardships members of my community were facing opened my eyes and heart in ways I could not have imagined. I spent the year meeting people where they were at and developing advocacy skills I look forward to building upon throughout my career.”
Mira Hattal, Bridge to Basics 2010-2011